domingo, 9 de noviembre de 2008

4 de noviembre: Día de Elección






















Election day started interestingly.  I arrived school where I immediately went to the photocopy room to work with the other auxiliaries to prepare the day's voting activity for students.  Shortly thereafter I received a call from Juani, mi compañera de trabajo; she said, "Sally, where are you?  We need to leave at 9:30."  FIELD TRIP!  Talk about last minute notice.  We took the kids to a comical concert.  Though local, I had to bail on the voting activity (an idea which I initiated) until I returned in the afternoon.  In the afternoon, I helped year three students to participate in the democratic process by voting for their favorite food.  Each grade level voted for a different "favorite," and we will post the popular vote on a display outside the English lab tomorrow.  Around 11pm, I went to Casa America with Kristina for an election night event hosted by the United States Embassy.  Though several Fulbrighters declared boredom and split for the Democrats Abroad party, I preferred the non-partisan (and free) celebration and also going to bed early.  Despite the 20 euro entry fee and unavoidable Disney-length line, the D.A. event drew hundreds of participants, Spanish and American alike.  I personally relished the opportunity to take part in a historic event in such a unique situation.  I retired at a reasonable hour to learn the election results in the morning.

No hay comentarios: