viernes, 3 de octubre de 2008

This Week in Madrid




Highs:  
  • Painters come!  Workers follow to install my shower curtain and smoke detector.  One calls me "hija" (daughter).  The other, younger fellow asks, "What is this?" about the smoke detector.  
  • They've brought a curtain that doesn't reach the floor, but the next day I come home to find a much nicer curtain has replaced the initial one (see foto).
  • Tuesday, September 30th: Fulbrighters Alumni event para comer, para beber, y para charlar (to eat, drink, and socialize).
  • Wednesday, first meeting with Irene: turns out she wants private lessons not an intercambio so I'll make more money now.
  • Wednesday also: fun night a block from home at El Tigre with Nick, Geoff, and mixed English speaking company (Canadian, Aussies, and Brits).  Cheap canas and tasty tapas.
  • I continue to meet success with my experimental cooking: pork cutlets and sauteed onions, mmm...
  • Morgan informs me that the C4 cercanias to Parla runs every 6min.  I can sleep later!
Super Low:
  • Tuesday evening, I receive a statement from Telefonica that they will draft 201 euros from my bank account the following day.  Note that this amount is more than 3x what I was told when I signed my contract.  My neighbors, Noelle and Keith, kindly allow me to use their phone (mine still has too much interference to function), and "Jon Carlos Butler" an English-speaking Indian "reassures" me from the Telefonica call center that the money won't be taken.  Though he gives me a reference number, the "thieving bastards" (as described by 2nd year auxiliary, Shannon from Ireland) still withdraw the exorbitant amount of money.  Shannon fell victim to the same misfortune last year.  She didn't get her money back. 
  • Feeling onset of culture shock.

1 comentario:

April dijo...

where's the shower curtain pic? dinner looks *tasty*