miércoles, 17 de septiembre de 2008

Orientacion

I am glad to have checked into the residencia a night early; I have Kristina to thank for this.  She spoke to the woman at the desk for me.  I am SUPER ill at this point and very worried about starting orientation.
Despite fever and severe abdominal pain, I attend all sessions the first day, scouting a seat closest to the bathroom (to where I jet periodically).  I have barely eaten and though the tap water is safe to drink, it seems to make me sicker.  Thankfully, I have support from other Fulbrighters as well as Kristina's parents who will stay in Madrid till the fifteenth.  People check on me frequently, and Victor and Nury even bring me some Aquarius (like Gatorade).  Long story short: I keep getting worse and not better.  I miss the entire 2nd day of sessions, but finally go to the doctor (though I am turned away as a walk-in).  Patricia, coordinator of the Comision de Fulbright, tells me I have waited too long to seek treatment (Spaniards are more proactive about their health by comparison to U.S.).  She arranges for me to have a special diet from the cafeteria and even brings lunch to my room.  The doctor sees me at 5:30.  I have a virus; I'll have to endure.  Meanwhile, I have super potent anti-diarrheals and Ciproflaxin to prevent kidney infection.  Friday, I still cannot attend orientation events; I have consumed maybe 300 calories each day.    

No hay comentarios: