miércoles, 17 de septiembre de 2008

4 - 9 de septiembre


jueves, 4 de septiembre:  Dad, Mom and I take the metro and cercanias (commuter train) to Getafe to time my commute: casi una hora (almost one hour).  We go to my school, CEIP Manuel Nunez de Arenas where I receive a warm welcome.  I take a walk through the school and meet several English teachers and faculty members.  We visit the nearby Alcampo (Wal-Mart like store) but wait to purchase anything.  Our immediate priority: withdrawing the remainder of my rent money from an ATM.  When we arrive Citibank again, low and behold, I have lost my ATM card; I most likely left it on the machine counter yesterday between transactions.  ESTUPIDA!  My parents act calmly rather than passing judgment, which I appreciate, and we go through hoops to glean the right amount of money in order to sign the lease.  Arriving the office, we still don't know if we have the exact amount (we didn't want to openly count so much cash), and I keep telling my dad, "I'm going to be so embarassed if..."  Well, we had it, and I signed the lease.  Mind you, Eugenio speaks no English nor was the contract written in English.  I'll tell you, to conduct major transactions in my second language challenges and worries me to say the least!  Cringing at the caja (cash register), we buy two overpriced sheets at Corte Ingles so that we can sleep at the apartment the very first night.
viernes, 5 de septiembre:  We buy some apartment essentials at Alcampo: cleaning supplies, toilet paper, bed sheets, etc.  and spend the day cleaning.  My English neighbors, Noelle and Keith, invite us to have a drink in the area.  Noelle provides her local expertise about great places to eat and visit in the area - so much to do!  She also tells of her personal misfortunes with theft and gives pointers how not to fall victim.  After some sangria, we change locations to a pizzeria for dinner.  Yum!
sabado, 6 de septiembre:  Today we devote to more cleaning.  I believe we also treated ourselves to helado (ice cream) at the place next door: a fair reward.  Lunch at a nearby restaurant includes gazpacho and paella: buen provecho!  Later, Mom and Dad have dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Chueca while I meet friends for dinner near the Arguelles station.  I recall the unusual combination of foods served when I order a plato combinado: fried eggs, salad, and hamburger meat.  Mom "expresses her concern" about me taking the metro alone at night, and her concerns ebb into my own mind; however, I find the subway safe, clean, and populated even at midnight.  I am relieved.
domingo, 7 de septiembre:  We return to Alcampo (we go 3x in total before Mom and Dad depart!).  We dine at a nice restaurant in Chueca - so nice that they charged us for bread, which by American custom comes free!  I had an exquisite prosciutto and goat cheese pizza.  Please note: I take great pleasure in eating food.  You will read frequently about what I eat!  Jejeje...
lunes, 8 de septiembre:  Aha!  The men from Telefonica arrive to install my phone and internet!  The phone line, however, has terrible interference and is useless, and the men have brought the wrong router.  They conveniently brought the 30Euro WIFI router instead of the free one included in my contract.  They tell me 1) I bought a phone "mas barato" (too cheap) and 2) "esta bien" (it's ok) about the modem.  Yet when I reluctantly buy a pricier phone, I learn that my line really is the problem.  I believe we also went to Retiro this day before eating at a French-looking restaurant called Jardin.  Mom accidentally orders a cerveza "sin alcohol" and I correct the order.  She also ordered carpaccio not understanding what she ordered.  I didn't mind though cause I love it!  She liked it too fortunately.  I feel a bit ill by the time we finish dinner, but we manage to have a cana in Plaza de Chueca before retiring for the night.  Mom stays in my bed with me so we can chat when Dad goes to sleep.  Unfortunately, I now have a fever and chills that last through the night.
martes, 9 de septiembre:  Dad feels nervous that I am sick now, and through wet eyes, I bid them adieu till Christmas.  Shortly thereafter, I meet Kristina at her piso, we check into the residencia, and finally go to Telefonica to sort my internet and phone.

No hay comentarios: