miércoles, 17 de septiembre de 2008

La Noche en Blanco







Friday, I call Enrique to discover he is actually at my house, which makes me quite jealous.  See: April.  However, when he heads home, I am very excited to take part in a family video phone call via Skype!  I talk with Mom, Dad, April, Casey, Grandpa, and Dreena!  They even bring little Casey and Jonathan to the computer to say hello.
Saturday, I am feeling significantly better, and by this I mean I don't have to go to the bathroom every half-hour.  Nor do I have to puzzle my body's seemingly endless supply of waste.  Tonight Madrid celebrates the 3rd annual La Noche en Blanco (the night in white).  The city will open museums for free, and offer special concerts and performances.  Artists will utilize various buildings and structures as a medium for installation art.
Jess, with vino tinto (red wine) and chocolate in tote, joins Graeham and I for a late dinner of spinach pasta and chicken.  We dine on my patio and then meet Jim and his two friends, David (Madrileno) and Paul (de EEUU).  We wander through Madrid enamored by undulating masses in the streets.  We encounter various art installations - at times haphazardly and other times with a motive.  We practically scoff at the giant ruby, marvel at El Mar de Luz (the sea of lights), pause to enjoy a impromptu jazz concert, and relish the massive rubber ducks that swim in a magnificent fountain.  A bizarre spectacle: puckered lips projected in light float on the walls of a traditional and ornate building while puckering sounds resonate in the plaza.  The sounds range from over-sexualized to fart-like!  Jim grabs handfuls of free magnets, pens, and key rings from the Metro kiosk and shares the booty with us.  Graeham and I head to my piso (where she will stay with me till she can move into her own place) around 3am and discover two more installations, including the Telefonica building deformed with inflatable, noodle-like sculptural elements.  Que interesante!
      


1 comentario:

April dijo...

love love love it! thanks for the shout out ;-)
xoxo