martes, 16 de septiembre de 2008

EXITO!



That means SUCCESS!
3 septiembre 2008

Putting yesterday behind us, we embark again on the "piso hunt."  Today our motive has changed.  The question to answer: where would I like to go out at night?  The answer will point our search in a new direction.  (side note:  Last night we ventured as a group to explore La Latina at night: very cool, thriving with outdoor restaurants, bars, and people congregating in plazas.)  We start at Gran Via, but I find the tall buildings reminiscent of New York and truly daunting so we move onto Chueca.  We make an appointment to see a 2-bedroom piso, but just 15 minutes before our appointment, I see a sign and call the number to inquire.  It's a studio, and it's expensive, but we say WHAT THE HECK? and decide to look anyway.  After seeing the estudio, I get into the elevator saying "wow, that is my dream place."  Though mom loves the deck, she seems surprised and mom and dad both feel wary about me living alone.

We meet a man for our appointment at 1:00pm, and he shows us two, 2-bedroom pisos.  The first faces construction that will last through the year - not an option in my opinion though mom LOVES it.  The second apartment gives new meaning to the expression, "Don't shit where you eat."  The bathroom is at the end of the kitchen - NO, THANK YOU.

Now the estudio pulls at my heart, and I know I want it.  However, the price makes me cringe.  Dad advises me that this is "your year in Spain" and to indulge and enjoy it!  I try to reach Danielle without success, and I sneak free WIFI from a street corner to consult with Enrique via Skype.  Eugenio (with whom I later sign my lease) offers me a 6mos lease, and I agree to it.  Later I will determine whether to find a new place or stay.  He emails me the contract, and we will meet tomorrow to pay and sign.  Now we must find a CitiBank and start withdrawing lots of my cash.

1 comentario:

DNIrish dijo...

Thank God the entire thing isn't in Spanish. It would have taken me forever to try and read. Can't wait to get through what already looks like a good blog :)

LOVE YOU! MISS YOU! Can't wait to see you...It's only 72 days away! ahhhhhh